This week I posted my first contribution to the Findmypast First series of webinars, and it was no surprise that I gave an introduction to the family tree. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, recording it in advance, and then while the webinar was running live, we dealt with a constant stream of questions and comments. It was a real shame we didn’t have time to answer everything. My genuine thanks to all who watched and those who contributed questions. I hope you all enjoyed it.
The webinar is currently only available to Findmypast First (annual subscribers) members, but in a few days it will be posted onto the Findmypast YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/findmypast/videos.
In answering the questions, I realised I need to post a lot more here on the blog, so to give you a glimpse of what my posts will be about in the next few weeks, here are some of the questions that were asked and answered in brief on the day, but I will answer more fully in my blog posts.
- How secure is the Family Tree?
- Can I import trees I’ve created through Ancestry? And from Mac Family Tree?
- Can I import direct from Family Tree Maker?
- Will importing GEDCOM data merge it with what I’ve already entered into find my past, or will it duplicate it?
- What is GEDCOM?
- If I build my family tree then don’t renew my subscription can I still see it?
- When will tree sharing/viewing be available?
- Can I invite an family member who does not belong to Findmypast to look at my tree?
- Will you be adding Census hints? Will hints be available on other than just BMD?
- Will hints still be accessible if a subscription has lapsed?
- Are original images of records attached, or just transcriptions?
- Do you have hints available on internments of foreign nationals during the wars?
- When creating a Family Tree should I use my married surname or my maiden name?
- If a woman has been married more than once what is the best way to see her maiden name and other married names?
- If you do not know the maiden name for a woman should it be left blank as previously I used ‘unknown’?
- Can I as the owner of tree remove it from Findmypast?
- How do you show multiple parents in the case of adoption?
- If I enter information on a burial does it automatically realise that person is dead, for display purposes, or privacy?
- Why doesn’t the source of the record appear next to the event? They all seem to be verifying the name?
- When will you have a feature to print a tree or part of?
- Is there a download guide for the Findmypast Family Tree?
- Is there a guide to show me how to attach photos to tree?
- Why can I only see 3 generations in family view?
And thank you for some of the really pleasant comments. Here’s a few.
- Very helpful – thanks!
- Most worthwhile and looking forward to more.
- This looks a very interesting and powerful tree construction utility you have developed. I especially like they way you capture all the sources.
- Can I just say this is my first time with webinar and I found it a rewarding experience and look forward to the next one.
- Thanks for your help this afternoon. I think the hints option is a great help.
- Thank you. Very informative and look forward to more. Have just bookmarked your blog and look forward to reading it.
- Interesting to be able to see other people’s questions/answers, some that I wouldn’t have thought of.
- Look forward to uploading my tree in the near future.
I’ve got a bit of a challenge to get these posts put together and out for you to read on “In The Green”.
Until then, Happy Easter to you all!